Responses to the Coup d'etat in Honduras on Sunday June 28, with special emphasis on producing English-language versions of commentaries by Honduran scholars and editorial writers and addressing the confusion encouraged by lack of basic knowledge about Honduras.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Face to Face: What human rights violations look like

A friend and colleague writes from Tegucigalpa:

It is now 4:11PM, day 3 since the first curfew this week

Today I personally witnessed the repression in downtown Tegucigalpa.

At 2PM I left my home, and I joined today´s massive demonstration when it arrived in the Plaza Central in front of the Cathedral where I was baptized long ago.

By 3:15PM the crowds began to disperse as rumors circulated that the military and police forces were about to arrive, in fact, dispatched from near the Brazilian Embassy. I saw the arrival, in huge trucks, of about 150 military men, and about 50 riot police, masked to protect themselves from the tear gas that they began to launch as people ran and tripped over each other on the streets and sidewalks. Some managed to slip into businesses and homes that offered shelter.

Terrified, I ran and managed to escape, running about a kilometer until, with others, I managed to get into cab; while running I ran into a man about 55 to 60 years old whose face had been beaten, and blood gushed from his face; a woman whom I took to be his wife or companion was trying to take care of him as he limped away.

By late tonight you will see certainly see photos from today´s repression. The new curfew begins at 5PM.

No comments: